Monday, November 1, 2010

Publishing for the "Average Joe"

I have always been a "time-pass researcher" looking for avenues where I can show off my work to the semi curious and the curious masses.
For people like me IEEE has been the Tinseltown of academic publishing. But many feel IEEE to be a joke, where you end up paying a lot of money for no good reason (except for the cool newsletters and stuff which lame coders and wannabes can flaunt in front of their friends).
A few years back we saw a new funda called Open Access Journal make it really big. And today it has evolved (or perhaps devolved) to such an extent where we can "PUBLISH" whatever we want.
Anyway, everything went well for me- I passed with GOOD grades, got placed, but one day I wondered if I could publish something as a proper research work, with minimum effort that is. In my fourth year
engineering project under SAURAVJYOTI SARMAH in Jorhat Engineering College we proposed a novel algorithm which could detect human faces in any image, the USP being less processing time. It was entitled "Face Detection Algorithm based on Skin color segmentation and Density Grid
Clustering". And guess what?! I did it! I did it with the help of all the people who fostered the idea of open publishing, free knowledge and a little known website called publishresearch.com (Btw, it doesn't even have a section for Computer Science. My dissertation is in in the "Others" category).
Whatever be it, point is that Timothy R. Lalhmangaiha, Biswajit Boruah and Zubin Bhuyan have finally published a research paper. :P
Hahahaha.... Now, suck on that!!

3 comments: